Beauty blogging is so much fun and I love every minute of it, but I have to admit that along with learning about so many great beauty products, comes the overwhelming desire to try all the new products that are out on the market. I get tons of information, watch and read product reviews and like to see what works for other people out there. What happens when I try new products, as fancy and beautiful the packaging may be, and as wonderful as their claims may be (“use this for that natural JLo glow” or “these are the top 5 skincare products Miranda Kerr swears by”), is that I break out!
I recently had some break outs that lasted for weeks and could not for the life of me figure out what the cause was. So what did I do? I went back to the basics. I went back to those elements of my skincare routine which I know for a fact do not cause irritation or breakouts. Even more important for me was to be consistent with this routine and for a whole week, I only used these products- no exfoliating scrubs, no masks or anything fancy. It began to bring my skin back to normal and did not lead to additional break outs- so I tried it for another week. I am now on my third week of this routine and have begun to include my beloved ANR back into my PM routine. This has been working well.
If there’s anything I’ve learned about skincare it is this- keep it gentle and keep it consistent. You know your skin best! What works for someone else’s skin, may not work for you. If your skin starts to act up, take a step back and see what has been tried and true for you. Stick with that for a few weeks before adding anything else in. When in doubt, keep it simple.
These are products in my simple skincare routine are:
- Clnique extra mild facial soap: This is an extremely mild non foaming cleanser. I have gone back to this time and time again. I know I can always count on it. It is fragrance free. I have been using it every morning for the past few weeks now and am very pleased.
- Aveda Toning Mist: I follow my cleansing step with this toning mist. This is my go to toner and I’ve been using for around a year now. I definitely can’t be without it.
- Clinique Superdefense eye cream SPF 20: I have been using this eye cream every morning since this past summer. It is light, has no scent and sits nicely under my makeup. I really love this eye cream.
- Clinique dramatically different lotion: I follow my toning mist with this lotion and my skin feels nice and hydrated afterwards. This is a staple in my skincare for any time of the year.
- MD Solar Sciences SPF 50- I don’t use this as a moisturizer but for SPF protection and to keep my face matte all day. This is the only product I’ve used which truly keeps me shine free. I am on my third tube. I use it every single day- a small amount is all I need. It may look like it has a white caste, but that absorbs very quickly. Love this stuff.
- Clinique Moisture Surge- This is a somewhat recent discovery for me. It is similar to the dramatically different gel but is far more hydrating. I like to use it in the evenings as my last step or on days when I know I will be makeup free. It has an amazingly soothing effect on the skin immediately upon application and sinks in within seconds. My skin drinks this up and I am very happy to have found it. Even my husband loves this stuff! The more I use this, the more I love it.
The hardest part about sticking to this routine is sticking to this routine. I try not to be tempted by something in my stash, but for now I am committed to keeping my skin in normal condition.
What products are tried, tested and true for you?