I made this potato salad a few summers ago for a Fourth of July bbq at my sister’s house. It was such a hit that I’ve been making it ever since. The original recipe calls for hard boiled eggs but I tend to omit them since many people in my family don’t like them. You can definitely make it with the eggs though!
recipe courtesy: pioneer woman
- 5 pounds Russet Potatoes (about 8 Medium Russets)
- 1-1/2 cup Real Mayonnaise (NOT Miracle Whip)
- 4 Tablespoons Prepared Mustard (regular, Dijon Or A Mixture Of Both)
- 5 whole Green Onions, Sliced Up To The Darkest Green Part
- 8 whole Small Sweet Pickles (may Use Dill If That’s More Up Your Alley)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt (more To Taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 4 whole Hard Boiled Eggs
Cut potatoes in halves or thirds, then boil until fork tender. Drain. Mash potatoes (or run them through a ricer or food mill to make them extra fluffy–I don’t have a food mill and mashing them works just fine). Fold potatoes together with mayonnaise, mustard, green onions, salt, pepper, and other seasonings you like. Fold in pickles and eggs, then taste for seasonings, adding more salt, mustard, or mayo as needed. You may also splash in juice from the pickle jar if salad needs a little moisture. I highly recommend this step.
I guarantee this potato salad will be a hit at your next bbq!